In order for a shortwave radio to work properly and show its absolute best performance, you will need to add a shortwave antenna to it. Shortwave antennas are, as you can assume, devices that are designed to perfectly fit shortwave radios and make their signal reception a lot better.
With one of the best indoor shortwave antennas attached to your radio, you will be able to receive even those frequencies that your radio could not receive before! These small devices are very effective and affordable too, so, this is one of the best ways to invest your money.
Today, we will be introducing you to the 9 best indoor shortwave radio antennas that can enhance reception, make the signals stronger and reach out for the farther signals.
Let’s meet the models first!
- Best overall: Sangean ANT-60 Shortwave Antenna
- Pretty Design: CC Shortwave Reel Antenna
- Editor’s Choice: Kaito T-1 Radio Antenna
- Best for types of radios: Tecsun AN-48X Indoor Active Loop Radio Antenna
- Bit Expensive: Tecsun AN-03L professional SW band external compact antenna
- Best for Directional: MLA-30 Long Range Directional Loop Antenna
- Best abilities: XHADATA AN-80 Shortwave reel antenna
- Best for range: Eton Corp NGAN200 Grundig indoor antenna
- Dipole T shaped design: Indoor AM FM Antenna Ancable
The buyer’s guide: How to choose the best shortwave antenna for yourself
Since many of these antennas that we have shown you today actually have the ability to connect to generally all of the radio models and brands, you do not have to worry about finding the antenna that is being sold by the same brand that your shortwave radio is manufactured. This gives you one less thing to worry about.
Our experience has taught us that you should not rush with purchasing devices like these ones, at least not unless you have seen all of the choices and the possibilities you have. That is why we too advise you to take all of the time you need and go through all of the possible antenna models that you could find. But, in order to know which antenna will suit you best, there are some things that you should look out for. Let’s see what they are.
- The size and weight is important
Usually, indoor shortwave antennas are small-sized devices that could easily be carried around. There will be times when you will stumble upon some bigger indoor shortwave antennas and those are the ones that you should stay away from. If you want to be an owner of an antenna that will also serve you well on your trips, alongside your portable shortwave radio, make sure it is lightweight, has a practical design, and is portable.
- Easy to connect
- Can be carried around everywhere
- Can be used with ease
- The length of the cable cord
When you purchase an antenna with a standard length of the cable cord, you therefore, give yourself the ability and the needed mobility to place it anywhere. In other words, you would not need to put the antenna right next to your radio, you can place it any place where the signal reception is at its finest.
- You can move it around easily
- You can place it anywhere you want
- It can be placed directly towards the signal source
- The frequency range of the antenna
And lastly, one of the most important things that you should look out for is, of course, the frequency range of your antenna. The bigger the range, the better the reception will be. So, when purchasing your next indoor shortwave antenna, make sure to either test out its ability to receive signals, or check the data on its label to see on which frequencies it can operate on.
- It will be able to reach out even for the furthest signals
- Your reception will always be clean
- All of the received signals will be strong
Reviews on the top 9 Best Indoor shortwave Radio antennas
1. Best overall: Sangean ANT-60 Shortwave Antenna
The first antenna that we will be introducing you to today is no other than the Sangean ANT-60 model. This model is built that way so that it can improve performance and the reception of any shortwave radio. The good thing about it is that you can basically use it with any kind of shortwave radio model, and not just the Sangean ones- it will work perfectly with all brands.
Since this is kind of a small antenna, you can easily hook it up and snap it onto the telescoping rod antenna. If you want to, you can plug it into the radio’s external AM antenna jack for better performance. Even though this is mainly an indoor antenna, it can be used for outdoor purposes too. Since it contains a 7 meters cable, you can hook it up to your shortwave radio that is in the house, and place the antenna right outside your window for a much better performance!
- This is one of the simplest Sangean antennas
- It contains a seven-meter cable
- It can easily be hooked to any kind of shortwave radio
- This antenna works with all shortwave radio brands
2. Pretty Design: CC Shortwave Reel Antenna
The next model is very similar to the Sangean ANT-60. Basically, their designs are pretty much the same in one way. The difference between the designs of the ANT-60 and this model is that this CC shortwave Reel antenna has a 23ft long smooth action roll-up wire cable, and contains a spring-loaded clip that enables easy installation everywhere.
This antenna is built in a certain way in order to provide the best performance and to improve the reception of signals. It contains a capacitor that is locked and loaded ready to enhance the performance, as well as the reception even of low-frequency signals. Even if you have zero experience in setting up antennas, you won’t have any kind of issues since it can easily be installed!
What’s awesome about this antenna is that any buyer will be receiving a one-year warranty alongside of it. So, even if it breaks, you do not have to worry about a thing!
- This antenna contains a 23 feet long cable
- It can easily be attached to any shortwave radio
- It contains an installation clip
- A customer will receive a one year warranty for this antenna
3. Editor’s Choice: Kaito T-1 Radio Antenna
This Kaito antenna is a little less popular than the previous two models, but it does have a very similar design. This is also a small antenna that can easily be hooked up anywhere. You do not need any kind of skills in order to install it the right way. Since it has a telescopic clip, you can simply clip it to any kind of surface. The other end the cable that is 23 feet long, goes directly into the jack of your shortwave radio!
This model has a 3.5-millimeter mini plug that enables just that- an easy installation process that for sure saves a lot of your time. With this antenna by your side, you will be able to catch even the lowest frequencies that are passing by. Even though it’s small it has a lot of power. Basically, it can improve the performance of any kind of shortwave radio while also making it catch any frequencies that are available to it!
Since this is a compact antenna, you could easily bring it with you anywhere with your shortwave radio! That way, you will always be equipped with a good quality reception and a strong signal.
- This is a small, compact antenna
- It contains a 23 feet cable cord
- It has a mini plug
- This antenna can be attached anywhere easily
- It contains a clip
4. Best for types of radios: Tecsun AN-48X Indoor Active Loop Radio Antenna
Now, the next model is specially designed to enhance radio receptions in both shortwave, mediumwave and longwave radio bands. It is able to cover up huge amounts of frequencies, for example, it can catch frequencies between 520-1700 kHz for AM signals, around 3.50-20.00 MHZ for shortwave signals, and 120-400 KHz for longwave signals.
One of the best things about this antenna is that it is able to work well with all types of radios and radio brands! On top of that- it is super easy to hook up and use! You can connect it to your radio simply by placing the cable of the antenna into the right jack on your shortwave radio. After you have connected it, you will be able to tune your radio and start receiving different frequencies.
What we have to mention is that this antenna is powered by two type AAA batteries which the user will have to buy separately.
- This antenna works on two AAA batteries
- It is able to catch different frequencies
- This antenna can be connected to any kind of radio
- It can easily be used, installed and operated with
- It contains a 23 feet long cable cord
5. Bit Expensive: Tecsun AN-03L professional SW band external compact shortwave antenna
The next model is made out of plastic. It has a nice appearance and a very nice blue design. The Tescsun AN-03L is able to make any kind of radio receive signals and frequencies that they could not receive before. The best thing about it is that it looks amazing, can easily be connected to basically any model and it works amazingly!
To be more precise, this model in particular is able to enhance the reception of FM, AM, and shortwave radio signals. We have already mentioned that it can be connected to basically any kind of radio model that is true- the radio must have external antenna jacks of course.
It is advised to not use this antenna in the case of any kind of thunderstorms or lightings as some kind of unexpected issues could happen.
- This antenna can basically be connected to any kind of shortwave radio that contains an external antenna jack
- It is advised not to use this antenna in the case of storms and thunders
- This is a small, compact antenna
- It is portable and could be carried around easily
- This antenna can catch different types of signals
- This antenna contains a 5-meter long cable cord
6. Best for Directional: MLA-30 Long Range Directional Loop Antenna
This next model is a little bit more expensive than the previous five which we have shown you. Namely, it costs around $50, but this is a very reasonable price having in mind all of its amazing features. Let’s see what it can do.
As you may already know, the MLA-30 is one of the most popular antenna brands in the whole wide world, and they for sure outdone themselves while making this model. This is one of those models that are perfect for amateurs that are only using shortwave radios for fun, but also perfect for shortwave enthusiasts.
Since this is a portable indoor loop antenna, it basically has a very simple design and can be placed anywhere, even in someplace with limited spacing. Due to the loops that create its design, this antenna has excellent directionality and is able to reduce all other interfering signals that might ruin your reception. On the other hand, the reception is extraordinary and the signals remain stable and strong throughout the whole listening session.
- This is a small and compact antenna
- It has a very effective range of around 100KHz to 30 MHz
- It can be powered through a USB
- This is a rainproof antenna that can be weather resistant if put outside
- Best for indoor use
7. Best abilities: XHADATA AN-80 Shortwave reel antenna
This is a relatively cheap antenna that has lots of different and useful features. It can be connected to any kind of shortwave radio, even if the radio does not contain the antenna jack. You can easily attach it to the radio simply by following all of the simple steps in the user manual which you receive alongside the antenna!
One of its best abilities is the one when it can extend up to 720cm providing you with an even better performance. This antenna can easily be hooked onto the radio due to a convenient clip that makes the job much easier.
- This antenna comes with a one year warranty
- It can be extended up to 720cm
- This antenna has an amazing reception
- It is able to keep the signal strong
- There is a hook available for easier installation
- This is a small and an easily portable antenna
8. Best for range: Eton Corp NGAN200 Grundig indoor antenna
Now, this next model has a huge range. Namely, it is able to catch around 530-1710 kHz of shortwave broadcasting signals. Since this is a passive antenna, it means that it can easily catch even the signals that are so much far away from it.
This is, above all, the very efficient and lightweight antenna that has an extraordinary frameless design. With that being said, you can carry around this antenna easily with you anywhere. Wherever you bring your shortwave radio just know that you will be able to carry the antenna too and make the performance and the reception of the radio much better!
- This is an indoor antenna that can easily be set up and adjusted
- It can reach out for far signals
- This antenna has a very large frequency range of 530-1710 kHz
- This antenna has a frameless extraordinary design
- It is very lightweight and can be carried around easily
- This antenna receives signals in all directions
- It can easily be set up and connected to any kind of shortwave radio
9. Dipole T shaped design: Indoor AM FM Antenna Ancable
This FM antenna has a dipole T-shaped design that can easily be used. All that you have to do is to plug this antenna into your radio, face it in the direction of the signal source and listen to your favorite radio stations.
One of the best things about this model is that it can stand on its own you do not have to install it. Even the base can be folded if needed.
This antenna is compatible with almost all shortwave radios, even those who are tabletop and those who are portable. The radio to which this antenna is being connected needs to have a standard 3.5mm antenna jack. If it does not have it, you will not be able to connect it to it.
- This is a T shaped antenna
- It can be set up easily
- This antenna has very strong reception
- The folding stand makes it mobile and practical
- Can be connected to any kind of radio brand with ease
Final words of the Best indoor shortwave antenna
Every single one of these antennas will do its job well, that is something that you should know. Since many of these models are models that work with all of the radio brands, you do not have to worry about finding the antenna that was made by a brand that also manufactured your shortwave radio.
The good thing about these best indoor shortwave antennas is that you can also carry them around with you on car trips, road trips, and similar occasions. They are indoor antennas but will work well even on the outside!
What is antenna gain? Is it important?
Generally speaking, antenna gain is the antenna’s ability to catch signals in any direction.
Difference between Indoor and Outdoor Shortwave Antennas
The outdoor antennas are usually antennas that are installed on windows, rooftops or somewhere in your backyard. On the other hand, indoor antennas are specially designed antennas that usually have just enough length in cable cords to be placed right next to your radio or somewhere near it, on the inside, of course.
What is interference? How does it affect the signal?
Interference is when some other radio signals mix and disturb your connection with another signal. This can happen for all kinds of signals: television, radio, telephone, etc. it can sometimes be annoying since it might make your reception worse.
How can I get a better and smoother signal indoors?
There are a few things that you can do:
- Try to point your antenna directly in the direction from where the signal is coming from
- Check if you have installed your antenna correctly
- Add an amplifier if needed
How can I repair a broken antenna?
If the damage on the antenna is not huge then you probably can fix it. But, if you are not an expert in fixing antennas, and you might not know exactly what you are doing, leave it to the experts and take your antenna to a repair shop.
Can you use an antenna for shortwave radio?
Yes, there are specially made shortwave antennas that can be used for shortwave radios.
How long is a shortwave antenna?
Shortwave antennas usually have a frequency range of around 50-400 feet.