Looking for the best Sony shortwave radio? Not a problem, we can help with that! If you are a truly Sony enthusiast and want the best shortwave radio for enjoying your favorite radio stations, in that case you might want to take a look at the ones that we mention over here in this article.
What is a shortwave radio used for? We need to remember that shortwave radio is a radio of high frequency that is used for broadcasting voice and music to users over very large geographical distances, from a country to another one, for instance. It can also be used for military purposes, education, communication between international amateur radio enthusiasts, emergency services, and others.
Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best sony shortwave radio; you can learn more about our review on this page. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen product links.
Our Top Pick of the Sony Shortwave Radios
- Best Overall: Sony ICF-SW7600GR Receiver/Radio with Speaker
- Best Pocket radio: Sony ICF-T46 radio pocketable FM / AM
- Best Quality Sound: Sony ICZ-R50 Portable Radio 4GB R50
- Best for Handy: Sony ICF-P21 FM / AM Handy Portable Radio
4. Sony ICF-P21 FM / AM Handy Portable Radio
The first thing I liked about the Sony ICF-P21 FM / AM Handy Portable Radio was its military and serious design, but after purchasing one I discovered that it’s more than that. This shortwave radio is a considerable alternative to have because it can be found at reasonable prices (costing much lesser than the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver); as well as having a good sensibility and volume.
As an enthusiast of these products, I can say that the Sony ICF-P21 is a powerful radio that can be also used for communicating. And as the price is completely affordable for this radio, many enthusiasts can purchase one or two if they don’t count on a large amount of money.
Features and Specs of the Sony ICF-P21
- Black color.
- AM and FM signal reception.
- Package Dimensions: 8.46 x 3.86 x 1.61 inches.
- Item Weight: 8.5 ounces.
- ASIN: B002B5ZZ9S.
- Item model number ICF-P21.
- Batteries: 2 AA batteries required.
- Still being manufactured.
- Other display features are Wireless.
- Manufacturer: Sony
Performance and Quality of the Sony ICF-P21
I’m really impressed with the power that you can have in your hands with the Sony ICF-P21 FM / AM Handy Portable Radio. And despite I can mention some details such as the difficulty for selecting stations due to the analog tuner, this radio is overall very good. The battery life is long enough to use it for some hours.
Another detail is that the volume cannot be fixed after adjusting it since the volume dial works as a switch, but this is compensated with the fact that the high volume is extremely loud, which is good for people who are always complaining of not having enough decibels; and as it’s sensitive and easy to operate, everyone can use it!
So, go and buy yourself one of these beauties!
Buying Guide: How to choose the Sony Shortwave Radios
When it comes to choosing the best shortwave radio, we need to considerate the following factors:
- Synchronous Detector: this detector allows you to lock in an effective way on a radio signal and cuts the background noise while it plays the sound.
- The display: the better the display that a shortwave radio has, the better access and navigation experience will provide.
- Tuning Mechanism: this is an important factor, as well, and tuning a shortwave radio can be done by a knob or a button, or in some cases, by both of them.
- Additional Antenna Jack: a good antenna is indispensable since this one will allow you to pick up the radio signals.
- Durability: the build quality of your radio is important for enduring long periods in the outside, as well as inside of the house, and still receive radio signals without interference.
- Uses: if it receives both AM and FM radio stations, it will then increase the listening options that you have.
- Weight and size: the more compactable your radio is, the better it will be.
- Frequency range: the more frequencies your radio receive, the more chance for you to expand your listening options.
- Brands: the brand is always popular in any product, and for shortwave radios, it’s more recommendable to opt for a Sony product.
1.- What is a Sony shortwave radio good for?
Sony shortwave radios are good for receiving a wide range of programming channels from both AM and FM radio stations that you can listen to with high frequencies that they pick up from over the world. They can also be used for educational purposes, emergency services, to communicate with people in areas where cell signals are weak, and among other uses.
2.- What is the best Sony shortwave radio to buy?
Many experts and radio enthusiasts agree that the best Sony shortwave radio to buy is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver.
3.- Why should you buy this?
Buying the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver is the best option to take when it comes of purchasing a Sony shortwave radio because it allows you to receive frequencies on both AM and FM, shortwave, and longwave bands, providing the ability to hear a wide variety of local and international stations with clear sounds and without static, noise or interference.
Conclusion of the best Sony shortwave radio
Now that you know more about the world of shortwave radios, you are well-prepared to make the wisest decision when the moment of purchasing the best shortwave radio comes. And if you’re not ready and the moment is not close to coming, just consider these guides and the recommendations that we mentioned in here for taking that leap in the future and acquiring the best Sony shortwave radio for you.
FAQ’s about the Sony shortwave radios
1. - How to tune a Sony shortwave radio?
In case of having a digital radio, you’ll simply input the frequency on the radio keypad or tune-up/down to the frequency in order to tune it; on the other hand, if you have an analog radio, you need to correctly select an appropriate shortwave frequency band, then tune to the station frequency.
2. - Do you need a license for a shortwave radio?
No, you don’t need a license for shortwave radio. It’s completely legal to purchase and have a shortwave radio without a license.
3. - How do I listen to a shortwave radio?
In order to listen to shortwave radio you need to establish a good listening strategy, so get used to checking the universal time, look for available shortwave bands, check available schedules including the hours and countries of the stations that you find, and little by little you’ll be listening perfectly over your shortwave radio.
4. - Can I listen to shortwave radio on the Internet?
Yes, since they're a lot of websites that allow you to use different radios, you can listen to shortwave radio on the internet.
5. - Are Number stations still active?
Yes, a considerable amount of number stations are still active.
6. - Is there a shortwave radio app?
Yes, there are many shortwave radio apps, and some of the most popular are Radio FM, WTWW Shortwave Radio, Simple Radio, and myTuner Radio App.
7. - Is shortwave radio the same as ham radio?
Not necessarily. Shortwave radio refers to certain radio waves that ham radios transmit; and while ham radios are limited to a specific set of frequencies or bands, shortwave radios receive signals in much higher frequencies.
8. - How far can shortwave radio signals reach?
Shortwave radios can achieve a range of vertical distance from 3–30 MHz (100 to 10 meters); above the medium frequency band (MF), to the bottom of the VHF band. And horizontally, they can reach out to about 64 kilometers (40 miles).