We need to remember that shortwave radio is a radio of high frequency that is used for broadcasting voice and music to users over very large geographical distances, from one country to another one, for instance. It can also be used for military purposes, education, and communication between international amateur radio enthusiasts, emergency services, and others.
Looking for the best Sony shortwave radio? Not a problem, we can help with that! If you are a truly Sony enthusiast and want the best shortwave radio for enjoying your favorite radio stations, in that case you might want to take a look at the ones that we mention over here in this article.
Our Top Pick of Sony Shortwave radios at a glance 2022
Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best sony shortwave radio; you can learn more about these sony shortwave radio reviews on this page. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen product links.
Buying Guide quick tips: How to choose the sony shortwave radios
When it comes to choosing the best shortwave radio, we need to considerate the following factors:
- Synchronous Detector: this detector allows you to lock in an effective way on a radio signal and cuts the background noise while it plays the sound.
- The display: the better the display that a shortwave radio has, the better access and navigation experience will provide.
- Tuning Mechanism: this is an important factor, as well, and tuning a shortwave radio can be done by a knob or a button, or in some cases, by both of them.
- Additional Antenna Jack: a good antenna is indispensable since this one will allow you to pick up the radio signals.
- Durability: the build quality of your radio is important for enduring long periods on the outside, as well as inside of the house, and still receiving radio signals without interference.
- Uses: if it receives both AM and FM radio stations, it will then increase the listening options that you have.
- Weight and size: the more compactable your radio is, the better it will be.
- Frequency range: the more frequencies your radio receive, the more chance for you to expand your listening options.
- Brands: the brand is always popular in any product, and for shortwave radios, it’s more recommendable to opt for a Sony product.
The details product reviews of best Sony Shortwave radios
1. Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver/Radio with Speaker
Before finally deciding on purchasing a Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver I had heard good comments about its outstanding particularities from both my friends and people that, as for me, are great shortwave radio enthusiasts. However, I needed to prove by myself what this device was capable of, and… I was not disappointed, but very impressed
At first, I had my doubts about the power that the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver has since it’s small in comparison with other devices, but I was absolutely wrong, because this device can allow us to broadcast radio stations from any part of the world with a good reception and a sound as clear as water, and without any inconvenience or interference in the radio signal. It can store over 100 different radio stations, and the sharp LCD display can provide digital frequency read-out of the selected station, so, it’s a positive aspect for the ones who have more than one favorite radio station; its capacity for capturing long away frequencies is admirable, as well. And the size is a pro, too: since it is small and compact, it can be taken in a comfortable manner anywhere in the pocket.
This radio has become one of the most popular among Sony models because of the power that it has, and it’s a well-deserved place. Most shortwave radio enthusiasts would celebrate if they could have one of these, but it’s a product used for many important things, such as education, communication, and more.
Features and Specs of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
- The Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver has sophisticated grey color with a simple design (not DSP-based).
- Power requirements are DC 6.0V, an optional AC Adapter.
- Output power: 380mW (at 10% harmonic distortion).
- I require 4 "AA" batteries (not included); the battery life: up to 47 hours.
- Display: Backlit LCD.
- Frequency Range: FM: 87.6-108MHz.
- LW/MW/SW: 150-29,999 kHz.
- Antenna System: FM/SW: Telescopic Antenna.
- LW/AM: Built-in Ferrite Bar Antenna.
- Tuner Type: PLL Quartz Frequency Synthesized Tuning.
- Station Presets: 100.
- Tuning: 10 Direct Access Buttons.
- Circuit System: LW/MW/SW/FM: Superheterodyne.
- Speaker Dimensions: 3" (77mm); Speaker Type: Stereo.
- Weight: 1 lb 5-3/4 oz (615g) w/batteries
- Dimensions: 7-1/2" x 4-3/4" x 1-2/5" (190 x 118.8 x 35.3mm).
Performance and Quality of Sony ICF-SW7600GR
It’s amazingly functional when synchronizing any radio station that is way further from where I live, without channel interference, static, fading, and distortion on shortwave. It’s easy to handle, quiet, with good sensitivity and selectivity.
Best Pocket radio
2. Sony ICF-T46 pocketable FM / AM radio
If you think that the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver was small, then minimize even more that concept for the Sony ICF-T46 radio pocketable FM / AM. This shortwave radio is very likable among enthusiasts because, despite the fact that it has a minimalistic design and a small size, it has huge power and intensity for broadcasting both AM and FM radio stations. In the economical aspect, it is also a very affordable option in comparison with other products.
After purchasing the Sony ICF-T46 radio pocketable FM / AM, I was convinced enough to conclude that the capacity that this radio has is enough to make us consider it as a wise investment. I was very satisfied with the results, and mostly because it represents a great option to start in the world of shortwave radios since it’s comfortable to carry, affordable for one’s pocket and it has great power to broadcast radio stations from far locations.
Features and Specs of the Sony ICF-T46
- Grey color and minimalistic design.
- Product dimensions: 22.05 x 5.12 x 3.61 inches.
- Weight of 2.43 ounces.
- ASIN: B002EVE2U2.
- Item model number: ICF-T46.
- 10 years and up of Manufacturer recommended age.
- 1 A batteries required (Included).
Performance and Quality of Sony ICF-T46
I can ensure that the Sony ICF-T46 radio pocketable FM / AM is definitely a very good option: with a sensitivity that is equally satisfactory and stable in both AM and FM; the battery life takes a long time to run off since the radio is of analog tuning and it can operate very well.
So, if your budget is a little bit tired and you want to take a leap into the shortwave radio world, the Sony ICF-T46 radio pocketable FM / AM is the greatest alternative for you!
Best for Handy
3. Sony ICF-P21 FM / AM Handy Portable Radio
The first thing I liked about the Sony ICF-P21 FM / AM Handy Portable Radio was its military and serious design, but after purchasing one I discovered that it’s more than that. This shortwave radio is a considerable alternative to have because it can be found at reasonable prices (costing much lesser than the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver); as well as having a good sensibility and volume.
As an enthusiast of these products, I can say that the Sony ICF-P21 is a powerful radio that can be also used for communicating. And as the price is completely affordable for this radio, many enthusiasts can purchase one or two if they don’t count on a large amount of money.
Features and Specs of the Sony ICF-P21
- Black color.
- AM and FM signal reception.
- Package Dimensions: 8.46 x 3.86 x 1.61 inches.
- Item Weight: 8.5 ounces.
- ASIN: B002B5ZZ9S.
- Item model number ICF-P21.
- Batteries: 2 AA batteries required.
- Still being manufactured.
- Another display features are Wireless.
- Manufacturer: Sony
Performance and Quality of Sony ICF-P21
I’m really impressed with the power that you can have in your hands with the Sony ICF-P21 FM / AM Handy Portable Radio. And despite I can mention some details such as the difficulty for selecting stations due to the analog tuner, this radio is overall very good. The battery life is long enough to use it for some hours.
Another detail is that the volume cannot be fixed after adjusting it since the volume dial works as a switch, but this is compensated with the fact that the high volume is extremely loud, which is good for people who are always complaining of not having enough decibels; and as it’s sensitive and easy to operate, everyone can use it!
Best Quality Sound
4. Sony ICZ-R50 Portable Radio 4GB
When I discovered that the Sony ICZ-R50 Portable Radio 4GB R50 was able to record shows and programs I told myself that I needed to acquire one of these shortwave radios to see (listen to) it with my own eyes. And well, surprise for me! It can definitely do it!
The Sony ICZ-R50 Portable Radio has a capacity for storing more than 20 recordings and around 178 hours of content, and that’s a lot! But for a shortwave radio enthusiast, as I am, I needed more to see if this product is a decent option.
I liked the fact that the Sony ICZ-R50 can be used for everyone who wants to listen to music, radio programs, or even learn languages through listening to different radio stations from other countries, so that’s a pro point right there!
Features and Specs of the Sony ICZ-R50
- Grey and white color.
- Capable of receiving AM and FM signals.
- Frequency: 76.0 - 90.0MHz (FM), 531 - 1,629kHz (AM).
- Output: 0.5W speakers x2.
- LCD screen.
- Stereo speakers.
- Pre-set and record up to 20 shows.
- Soundcheck IC recorder.
- Recording capacity: about 178 hours.
- Memory: 4GB (expand by a memory card, not included).
- Weight: 532g (18.8 oz).
- Size: 195.0 ×122.5 × 35.0mm (7.7 x 4.8 x 1.4").
- Power: AA batteries x4, AD adapter.
- Accessories included are an AC adapter (5V), AM loop antenna, software, CD-ROM, USB cable.
- Manual comes in Japanese.
Performance and Quality - Sony ICZ-R50
When I finally spent some days using and exploring each aspect of the Sony Portable Radio 4GB R50 ICZ-R50 I liked that it can achieve a huge level of power when broadcasting the radio stations, and the fact of sounding a bit retro at first doesn’t diminish this quality. And as the battery has a long life, we can spend hours recording our favorite shows.
So, go and buy yourself one of these beauties!
Our Take of best sony shortwave radio
What is a Sony shortwave radio good for?
Sony shortwave radios are good for receiving a wide range of programming channels from both AM and FM radio stations that you can listen to with high frequencies that they pick up from over the world. They can also be used for educational purposes, emergency services, to communicate with people in areas where cell signals are weak, and other uses.
What is the best Sony shortwave radio to buy?
Many experts and radio enthusiasts agree that the best Sony shortwave radio to buy is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver.
Why should you buy this?
Buying the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Receiver is the best option to take when it comes of purchasing a Sony shortwave radio because it allows you to receive frequencies on both AM and FM, shortwave, and longwave bands, providing the ability to hear a wide variety of local and international stations with clear sounds and without static, noise or interference.
Conclusion of Sony shortwave radio reviews
Now that you know more about the world of shortwave radios, you are well-prepared to make the wisest decision when the moment of purchasing the best shortwave radio comes.
And if you’re not ready and the moment is not close to coming, just consider these guides and the recommendations that we mentioned in here for taking that leap in the future and acquiring the best Sony shortwave radios for you.
FAQs about the Sony shortwave radios
1. How to tune a Sony shortwave radio?
In case of having a digital radio, you’ll simply input the frequency on the radio keypad or tune-up/down to the frequency in order to tune it; on the other hand, if you have an analog radio, you need to correctly select an appropriate shortwave frequency band, then tune to the station frequency.
2. Do you need a license for a shortwave radio?
No, you don’t need a license for shortwave radio. It’s completely legal to purchase and have a shortwave radio without a license.
3. How do I listen to a shortwave radio?
In order to listen to shortwave radio you need to establish a good listening strategy, so get used to checking the universal time, look for available shortwave bands, check available schedules including the hours and countries of the stations that you find, and little by little you’ll be listening perfectly over your shortwave radio.
4. Can I listen to shortwave radio on the Internet?
Yes, since they're a lot of websites that allow you to use different radios, you can listen to shortwave radio on the internet.
5. Are Number stations still active?
Yes, a considerable amount of number stations are still active.
6. Is there a shortwave radio app?
Yes, there are many shortwave radio apps, and some of the most popular are Radio FM, WTWW Shortwave Radio, Simple Radio, and myTuner Radio App.
7. Is shortwave radio the same as ham radio?
Not necessarily. Shortwave radio refers to certain radio waves that ham radios transmit; and while ham radios are limited to a specific set of frequencies or bands, shortwave radios receive signals in much higher frequencies.
8. How far can shortwave radio signals reach?
Shortwave radios can achieve a range of vertical distance from 3–30 MHz (100 to 10 meters); above the medium frequency band (MF), to the bottom of the VHF band. And horizontally, they can reach out to about 64 kilometers (40 miles).
Thanks once again for reading this article!
Photo source: amazon.com