A new radio
We all know how good it feels to have a new radio in the car; one that might have better speakers, reception, and many new features that your previous radio did not have.
So, if you have recently bought your Kenwood radio and you are super eager to install it, but you need a little bit of help, we are here for you! In this article, you are going to learn everything that you need to know about this process.
This installation process will for sure help all of those people that do not have any kind of skills in this field. We promise you that the process will not be hard, but it will require some effort!
By following our instructions, you will for sure be able to and learn how to Install a Kenwood radio in just a couple of minutes!
The process of installing a Kenwood radio
Before heading straight to the steps of the installation process, let’s first see all of the items that come in the packaging. Have in mind that the content of the box may vary depending on which Kenwood radio you may have.
- The user manual
- The wires
- Remote controller
- The microphone for Bluetooth wireless communication
- The stereo unit itself
Also, there are certain things that you should know, and rules that you should follow while installing this radio. We must mention them for your safety’s purposes.
- Please do not install the radio in a spot that is exposed to direct sunlight. It is for the best if you place your car in a garage, or someplace where there is no direct sunlight.
- Make sure that you are not using your own screws in order to install the unit. All of the screws that are/were attached to the radio are only made for those radio’s installation purposes. By using any other screws, you might break the actual unit.
- You have to make sure to also turn the power OFF so that the short circuit between the vehicle and the radio does not happen.
- And finally, after installing this radio the right way, make sure that the brakes, all of the lamps, blinkers, and wipers on your car are working properly the way they should. If not, take your car to the nearest mechanic’s office in order to fix that issue.
Okay, so, now we are ready to start. Take all of your tools out, sit in your car, bring all of the items from the box with you and, let’s start with the step-by-step explanation of the process.
First of all, take off the protective shield from all of the components. If you have had a previous radio built into your car, remove it carefully by remembering which wire goes where just in case. Also, remove the tray, and try not to lose the screws that you have taken out since you will need them later in the process.
Connecting the unit
- So, since we do not want the short circuit to happen, remove the key from the ignition and disconnect the minus battery on your car. This is just an extra measure so that, if you do make any kind of mistake, nothing happens to the unit.
- Make the proper input and output wire connections for all of the units. Be careful while doing so.
- Next, connect the speaker wires of the wiring harness, and connect that wiring harness wires by following this order: ground, battery, ignition.
- After that, connect the wiring harness connector to the unit and install the whole unit in the car.
- You will have to press the reset button in order to turn on the radio and see if it works properly.
Installation of the microphone unit
By installing the microphone unit, you will be having the ability to use your Bluetooth wireless microphone for communication.
- First, you will have to check the position of the microphone.
- Next, if there is any oil or dirt on the installation surface, remove it right away
- Install the microphone by plugging it in. *you should always install the microphone as far as it is possible to from your phone
- You can now lay the cable and secure it with some tape so that it does not wander around your car.
Installation of the unit
To finally install your unit, you will first have to bend the tabs of the mounting sleeve with a screwdriver or a similar object. And after that, simply place it into the secured place.
If a unit is not installed securely, there is a chance that it will become unstable, and a malfunction may occur. To avoid that kind of issue, before turning the radio on, make sure that it is safely attached to the right place.
A PDF user manual for Kenwood car radios is available for all of the Kenwood radio models online. You can click HERE to see an example of it. This can also be a lot helpful if you, by chance, have not received your own user manual in the box alongside your radio.
Why is it important to know how to install the radio properly
There are certain dangerous things that can happen if you do not know how to install the Kenwood radio the right way, or any radio actually. For instance, if you connect the wrong wires and the battery to your car, there is a chance that you might cause a short circuit. That short circuit can start a fire and ruin everything.
So, learning how to install the Kenwood radio the right way should be really important. Especially if you are a person that has never done any kind of stuff like this before. Since mounting and wiring this radio can require a certain type of skill if you can, and if there is a chance, leave this job to someone that has more experience. Or, take your car to the professionals.
Conclusion of the How to install a Kenwood Radio (Car stereo)
In conclusion, we would like to say that we think that the Kenwood radios are awesome! And that we hope that you will have a fun time with them too, we for sure do!
As you can see, the process was not that hard at all, but you just have to be careful. Once again, if you think that you do not have the skills for such a thing, take your car to the professionals. It is way better to do that than to mess up everything and eventually end up with a broken radio that you have just bought.
We do hope that this article was helpful to you and that you did manage to learn how to install a Kenwood radio by yourself!
Q-1. Am I able to connect two car stereos at once?
Generally speaking, yes you are able to do that, but it is highly unlikely to do so. It is going to be a lot of work and it will require a lot of effort to do so. It is for the best if you let the professionals do this job.