In this new addition to the FM radio article series, we will explain how you can record FM radio broadcasts on your handheld device. While the task might sound daunting there is nothing to worry about, the process is relatively straightforward, the only thing that it depends on is your device and its specific menus.
As you are about to see, you will be able to how to record FM radio broadcasts just by simply following a few steps.
Let’s see the process of doing so for different devices and how to do it fast.
The easiest way to record live radio on your, iPhone is to use the screen capture function. Do note that this way you also save the video.
However, there are other apps with more advanced functions. For example the app Voice Memos. For the basics just run the app and press the big red circle to start recording.
After you finish on the place of the red circle should now be a black circle with a red square, press it to finish recording.
Other advanced options make it more optimal for recording like the two parallel red bars that pause your recording.
You can review your recording by pressing the play button.
When you are done tap Done and your recording will be saved. The neat thing is that you can use other apps while recording, as long as they don’t produce sound.
You could also add screen recording on the control center, access the control center, and then tap the record button. After finishing your recording the recorded content will be saved to your camera roll.
This method also produces a video along with the audio recording, to work around this you can AirDrop the video to a Mac, if you or one of your friends own one, and then run the QuickTime Player. In this program click File, then Export as and you will get a drop bar with the option audio-only.
There is also the option of using the IOS app Ferrite Recording Studio. The advantage of using Ferrite is that it usually produces audio in the same sound quality as the audio it is recording.
On your Personal Computer(PC)
Just as on iPhones there are many different apps to record FM radio on your PC, here we will highlight some of them.
- Adobe Audition is one such app. This program can also edit the sound you record. Just note that your soundcard must support the What You Hear recording feature. This app can record only those sound signals sent by your sound card. Another neat thing is that Adobe Audition also has a built-in troubleshooter.
- Wondershare can also be used for the same purpose. It has a big variety of premium apps, which does mean it has a high buying price, but you will get in exchange everything you need to record FM radio with great customer support to boot. A nice app to record FM radio that is included in the wondershare package is the Streaming Audio Recorder. It has a short trial period and in order to use it to its full potential, you will need to pay 29 US dollars. Some of its features are recording audio from any streaming source (for example videos), the ability to make ringtones, an easy-to-use interface, and many, many more.
- RadioSure has a deceptively simple look that does not show its full potential. Coming with a large FM radio database and the ability to record anything it is the premier app to listen to FM radio. To record simply go to settings and configure the options in any way you want, search for the station you want to record, and just press the record button in the bottom-left corner. Its other features are over 33 000 international radio stations that you can order alphabetically, by genre, country, or language, names of the songs that are now playing, global hotkey support, and many more features. There is also a paying Pro version that will offer even more options!
- And last but not least is Nexus Radio. Other than recording it also has over 30 000 radio stations (divided into 38 music genres) to choose from. And the best part, it is completely free. It should not take more than 2 minutes to configure all the recording options to your preferred setting. After that, it is as simple as pressing the record. Other key features are a Winamp-like media player, downloadable visualizations, audio editor, etc.
On your Samsung phone
Recording FM radio on Samsung phones is very easy. Your headphones are used as an antenna. The FM radio program can be recorded at any time that you are listening to the radio.
- First, tap on FM radio on your main menu screen and select a radio frequency at which the radio station you are going to record is located, then press the button with the red dot on the right side of the low part of your screen and then tap yes.
- The app will start recording.
- To stop and save the recording tap the white square that is now in the same location as the aforementioned red dot. The recording will be saved in MP3 format and will be located in File Browser → Recorded Files → FM Radio.
On your Huawei phone
As with Samsung phones here the headphones are also used as an antenna, do not disconnect or bend them to ensure the best FM radio reception.
After ensuring that your headphones are adequately connected go to Menu, then Multimedia, and finally, tap on FM radio. Tap the square symbol to record, you can tap it again, or tap the options button, to pause the recording. When you finish recording tap the back button. You can adjust the volume as you would otherwise. You can tap the up arrow key to switch between tuning modes. Use the keys left or right arrow to navigate channels or to adjust the frequency by 0.1 MHz, note that this depends on the tuning you have selected. You can switch the radio on and off using the down arrow key. You can tap the options button to view the channel list, set the tune, or configure your settings and press the back button to play it in the background.
FM radio recording apps for android
Now that we have covered the most basic ways you can record FM radio over android let’s get into the details and see some awesome apps for the same purpose.
Easy Voice Recorder Pro. The free version allows you to listen to many hundreds of radio stations whenever wherever. This includes both internet-hosted FM radio and FM radio stations that support online streaming. If you subscribe for only 3.99 US dollars a year you also get the option to record whatever you are listening to.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ME47H2/?tag=radiopicker0b-20″ target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#ee4a03″ color=”#ffffff” size=”8″ center=”yes” radius=”5″ icon=”icon: hand-o-right” icon_color=”#ffffff” rel=”nofollow”]Free Download on Amazon[/su_button]
- RadioRec+ is another popular app for radio listening and recording. Currently, it haves around 500 English, German, Swiss, Austrian, Belgian, etc… radio stations.
- TuneIn Pro allows you to record any radio show, not just music, and it is free. It is not available on the play store, instead, it has its own site tunein.com and amazon.
The epilogue of the how-to record FM radio broadcasts
Now that you know the ways to record and save FM radio music be sure to use them, you never know when you’ll be out of reception! If you find some other great apps to record FM radio be sure to let us know. Also if you are interested in how FM became what it is today be sure to check out our previous articles.
Q-1. Are there any other apps that I can use to record FM radio if I am not satisfied with the already listed ones?
Yes, there is World Radio FM + Music Record available on Amazon and Audials Play on Google play.
Q-2. How do Android users that have brands other than Samsung or Huawei record FM radio?
The process should be fairly similar like in those two, most android phones function the same.
Q-3. What is the best way to record FM radio broadcasts?
There are a few different ways that you can go about recording FM radio broadcasts. One way is to use an FM transmitter to broadcast the signal from the radio station to your computer or audio recorder. Another way is to use a software program like Audacity to record the audio from the radio station directly.
When it comes to recording FM radio broadcasts, there are a few different ways that you can go about doing so. One option is to use an external digital recorder, such as the Zoom H4n. This recorder plugs into your computer via USB and records in WAV or MP3 format. Alternatively, you can use a software program like Audacity to record the audio directly onto your computer.
Another option is to use an FM tuner with a built-in recorder. Many newer models of cars come equipped with this feature, as do some standalone tuners. The downside to this method is that the quality of the recording will be lower than if you were using an external recorder.
A final option is to use an online service like RadioTime or Streema.
Q-4. What is a good microphone to use for recording FM radio broadcasts?
When it comes to recording FM radio broadcasts, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind. The most important factor is the quality of your microphone. Here are a few recommendations for microphones that will give you the best results when recording FM radio:
If you’re looking for a high-quality microphone that won’t break the bank, the Shure SM57 is a great option. This dynamic mic is renowned for its clear sound and ability to handle high volumes, making it perfect for capturing FM radio broadcasts.
If you’re looking for something more portable, the Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB is a good option. This mic can be plugged into any computer or tablet with a USB port, making it easy to record broadcasts on the go.